By W. Wallace Clendenin
(Pinch Hitting This Month for Earl Theisen)
from The International Photographer February 1934 p.12
BIOGRAPH produced pictures in Los Angeles in 1906, it being the first company to do so, but it did not at that time build a studio. This honor goes to William N. Selig, who, in 1909, built the first moving picture studio on the Pacific coast. This was at the northeast corner of Clifford and Allesandro streets (this portion of Allesandro has since become a part of Glendale boulevard) in Edendale. Selig had faith in the future of the film industry and proved it by building a complete studio from the ground up—stucco buildings, a stucco wall around the property and most remarkable of all, a glass enclosed stage.
Closely following Selig came the Bison Company.
[Read more…] about CINEWOLF X-MAS-SURPRISE 06: Hollywood Studios of the Early Days